On Tuesday, September 4th, UMBC SGA President Kaylesh Ramu will share the stage with the U.S. Under Secretary of Education and other leaders as they launch Shaping Our Future, a new national civic engagement initiative, at the National Press Club. Watch the event live online, 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. (a brief registration is required).
Shaping Our Future is a year-long national dialogue on the future of higher education. Kaylesh has been involved through her membership on the board of the American Commonwealth Partnership (ACP), a national alliance supporting innovative approaches to civic education and strong connections between universities and communities. UMBC President Freeman Hrabowski serves on ACP’s Presidents’ Advisory Council. UMBC Shriver Center Director Michele Wolff, Assistant Director of Student Life for Civic Agency David Hoffman and Coordinator of Student Life for Campus and Civic Engagement Craig Berger all serve with Kaylesh on the national board.
The full panel for the National Press Club event will include:
- Martha Kanter, U.S. Under Secretary of Education
- Nancy Cantor, Chancellor, Syracuse University
- Muriel Howard, President, American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU)
- Bernie Ronan, Chair, The Democracy Commitment
- Kaylesh Ramu, President, UMBC Student Government Association
- Scott Peters, Co-Director, Imagining America
- Harry Boyte, National Coordinator, American Commonwealth Partnership
- Bill Muse, President, The National Issues Forums
- David Mathews, President, The Kettering Foundation (via video)